Brighton 1-2 Reading- Match Report

Reading progress despite Tyler Blackett's first-half dismissal

Ten-man Reading booked a place in the fourth round of the EFL Cup with goals in each half from skipper Stephen Quinn and John Swift helping them to a 2-1 win at Championship rivals Brighton.

The Royals battled for more than half the tie with 10 men after defender Tyler Blackett received a straight red card for a late challenge on debutant Sebastien Pocognoli.

Brighton dominated for long spells in the second half but broke through only once when substitute Tomer Hemed scored from close five minutes from time.

The Seagulls had an early let off when Swift took advantage of some hesitant defending to set up Dominic Samuel in front of goal but he shot wastefully over with only Finnish keeper Niki Maenpaa to beat.

Brighton striker Glenn Murray, one of 11 changes made by manager Chris Hughton, had a shot blocked by Blackett before Albion keeper Maenpaa held a 25-yard drive from Liam Kelly.

Maenpaa showed alertness again to hold a goal-bound shot from Joseph Mendes after Murray put a good chance over from a terrific cross by Sam Baldock.

Baldock was provider again soon after, setting up Elvis Manu on the edge of the area but his shot flew just wide of the post.

Reading scored first on 32 minutes when Brighton failed to deal with a corner by Swift and the ball ran to Quinn who smashed home from six yards.

The Royals were reduced to 10 men three minutes before the break when referee Lee Probert showed a straight red card to Blackett for sliding into Pocognoli.

Murray was unfortunate not to draw Albion level moments from the interval when he headed against the crossbar from a Oliver Norwood free-kick.

Brighton began the second half in lively fashion and central defender Connor Goldson headed wide before Swift pounced to double Reading`s lead in the 54th minute.

Swift, given time and space on the edge of the area, fired a well-taken second to the right of Maenpaa after being set up by Quinn.

Albion midfielder Rohan Ince headed a Norwood free-kick wide before being withdrawn in favour of Israel striker Hemed.

Brighton were wasteful again when Baldock put a flicked header over from six yards from a cross by Rob Hunt.

The Seagulls reduced the deficit when Steve Sidwell and Murray combined and substitute Hemed forced the ball home from close range on 85 minutes.

Source : PA

Source: PA