Brighton 0-0 Nottm Forest- Match Report

Stalemate at the Amex

Brighton and Nottingham Forest missed the chance to move into the npower Championship play-off positions as they played out a goalless draw at the Amex Stadium.

The Seagulls had plenty of opportunities to break the deadlock, with Inigo Calderon - replacing the injured Bruno - almost marking his return to the side with an early goal, only to see his shot come back off the post.

Will Hoskins wasted a trio of chances and Brighton were almost made to rue their failure in front of goal when Billy Sharp, who brushed the crossbar, and Dexter Blackstock went close either side of half-time.

Kazenga LuaLua, a 69th-minute change for Hoskins, and Will Buckley almost netted winners late on in a second half starved of chances, but goalkeeper Lee Camp was on top form to deny the duo.

The stalemate leaves Gus Poyet's side without a win in three games now and one spot above ninth-placed Forest in the table.

Brighton boss Poyet made three changes to the side that drew 2-2 with Charlton last week as Calderon, David Lopez and Andrew Crofts started in place of Bruno, Stephen Dobbie and Dean Hammond.

Despite beating Burnley 2-0 in their last outing, Forest manager Sean O'Driscoll made four alterations to his team with Guy Moussi, Chris Cohen, Adlene Guedioura and Daniel Ayala playing.

The hosts almost opened their account in the eighth minute but Calderon saw his left-footed shot from Craig Mackail-Smith's cutback hit the post.

Brighton went close again shortly afterwards when Hoskins shot wide from six yards before former England full-back Wayne Bridge, given space down the left, drilled into the side netting.

Poyet's outfit continued to dominate and Hoskins wasted another two opportunities to net the opener, volleying and heading over from crosses.

Forest midfielder Andy Reid failed to keep an effort down, while Mackail-Smith went up the other end and fired across goal from a tight angle after Hoskins set him free.

Camp had to be alert to tip over Calderon's effort in the 39th minute, but the Seagulls almost went behind on the stroke of half-time when Sharp clipped the bar from Cohen's cross.

The visitors started the second half like they finished the first and were close to netting the opening goal as Blackstock poked substitute Greg Halford's cross wide.

Camp was on hand to save Calderon's third effort, while Henri Lansbury - a 59th-minute replacement for Guedioura - tested Tomasz Kuszczak from 12 yards.

LuaLua almost found the all-important first goal nine minutes from time when he collected the ball on the left and cut inside before unleashing a shot which the diving Camp pushed to safety.

Camp was then on hand to deny Buckley, who had burst through after latching on to a Halford mistake.

Source: PA

Source: PA