Ravens View of Forest

Last updated : 19 February 2007 By Mark R

The match started with the same starting XI as at Orient, on the bench Robinson was replaced by the fit again Revell. We started very slowly and only Ward attempted to push forward, but he frequently lost the ball.

Forest were clearly a strong side and Lester and Prutton ran the show for the first 25 minutes. We gradually fought our way back into the match but Forest had the chances.

Early in the half Kuipers pulled up with what looked like a groin strain and signals passed backwards and forwards between him and the bench with Sullivan warming up. Lynch took over goal kicking duty, but Kuipers was clearly not comfortable. It did not stop him from putting in his best performance of the season.

His first fantastic save saw him somehow push a Tyson shot over the bar after Ward misplaced a back pass.

The closest we came up to now was when a Forest defender nearly headed into his own net. Next Savage nodded a ball back to Ward, there was a big scramble, twice we looked like scoring (Cox?) but Forest blocked the ball, Savage was convinced we should have had a penalty for handball!

The second half suddenly burst into life after about 10 mins. We had a corner and Butters went down, the Referee played on despite the protests, Forest broke free and were in a good position when suddenly the linesman waved his flag like mad. Over came the referee, he called over Tyson and he was red carded. No idea what for, although on the Championship programme they said an off the ball incident with El-Abd.

The red card inspired Forest and they suddenly looked a different team. Lester got the ball out wide right, he cut inside Rents, weaved round 2 more and put the ball past Kuipers, it was a great goal.

For the next 15 minutes the game ebbed and flowed, but then IMHO we got given a very soft free kick just outside the box after a "foul" on Elder, who was on for Rents as we went to 3 at the back. Revell had also come on for Gatting.

The Forest wall lined up but with a gaping hole and Hammond put the ball through the hole and under the keepers body, a lucky goal all round but we deserved it.

From the kick off Forest gave away the ball, it ended up with Savage who made a great run forward, passed the ball to Ward who connected first time. The keeper made a great save, but Ward followed up and put the rebound into the net.

Withdean was rocking, what a great comeback. After that Kuipers made 2 brilliant saves, one from Aggogo was Kuipers at his best. We held up the ball well to waste time, wound up the Forest bench by reducing the number of balls round the pitch (Calderwood tried to get the Referees attention but failed - he was hopping mad about it!).

The final whistle was very welcome as were the three points.

So Priestfield is next on Tuesday, cant wait!

Kuipers - 9 my MOTM, will he be fit for Tuesday?

El-Abd - 7 100% display for 90 mins, but needs to be careful about trying to get opponents booked!

Butters - 7 great solid display

Lynch - 7 as above

Rents - 6 beaten several times to allow dangerous crosses in

Hammond - 8 great captains game again

Ward - 7 hot and cold performance, but involved in all the good stuff!

Bertin - 8 good match, stopped many attacks

Cox - 7 as per Ward

Savage - 8 another battling display

Gatting - 6 not his best game, but he kept battling

Revell (for Gatting) - 7 looks fit and up for it

Elder (for Rents)- 8 held up the ball superbly to help count the clock down

Fraser (for Ward) was only on for a couple of minutes

Sullivan and O'Cearuill not used