Mr Carrow is in the Main Stand

Last updated : 04 January 2003 By Bob Gear
What a day out!

Arrive at the Ground at 2.30 for a 3pm kick-off.

We try out the food, there's no Delia influence on the Away Fans menu, it's pies or crisps Im afraid.

Get out to the seats, a bit chilly, then it starts snowing.

2.35pm nearly all the lights go out. 'Mr Carrow is in the main Stand' says the announcer. We then get told there's a power failure ( we'd spotted that!)

At 3 o'clock the lights come back on, and we get told the Game will kick-off in 15-20 Minutes.

3.15pm. There's power problems again. 'We'll keep you informed'

3.30 pm 'We'll keep you informed'

3.35pm 'Mr Carrow is in the Main Stand'

3.40pm 'It is with regret........................'

At least Norwich's Official Site is a bit more helpful with two statements


TODAY'S FA Cup 3rd Round game has been postponed due to a power failure at Carrow Road. The fixture has been re-arranged for Tuesday 14th January at Carrow Road, kick-off 7.45pm.

Supporters should retain their tickets, which will be valid for the re-arranged match.

Those supporters unable to attend the re-arranged match can apply for a full refund by returning their ticket to the ticket office from 9am on Monday 6th January, either in person or by post.

Away supporters can apply for a full refund by returning their tickets to Brighton Hove & Albion Football Club's ticket office.

However, if they do wish to attend the re-arranged game their tickets remain valid.

and 2
TODAY'S FA Cup tie with Brighton & Hove Albion has been postponed due to a power failure at Carrow Road.

The decision to abandon the game came at 3.40pm, something Chief Executive Neil Doncaster explained was unavoidable.

"We had a main power failure at 2.30pm which damaged our back-up generator", he said. "When the main power came back on, the generator didn't and for safety reasons you can not play a game without both working.

"We don't know the source of the problem at present. The back-up generator was tested and working fine two days before the game, when we did the usual pre-match tests. We have in-house electricians who could not get the problem sorted today.

"I felt the fans behaved in a dignified way throughout. We did our best to keep the fans informed," he added.

Referee Alan Kaye added: "It's frustrating for all concerned. The decision was taken out of my hands by the ground safety officer." (Mr Carrow I presume!)